I have to say that any time I can cook something in my crock pot, it’s a good day! I love to start my dinner early and then enjoy the smell all day long. By dinner time, all I have to do is throw some sides together and it’s done. I usually make orange chicken the “hard way” meaning using actual oranges and taking about 1 1/2 hour to put it all together. Not fun. I came across this recipe and decided to give it a try.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp green onions, chopped
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil over the bottom of the crockpot.
- In a gallon size zip lock bag, add the chicken, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Seal and shake to evenly coat all of the chicken pieces. Add the chicken pieces to the crockpot and spread out evenly.
- Combine the orange marmalade, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour mixture over the chicken stirring gently to coat all pieces.
- Cook covered on high for two hours or on low for four hours. Monitor occasionally in case it's done sooner.
- Sprinkle green onions on top before serving.
Those pictures aren’t the best above but the flavor was fantastic! I changed a few of the measurements for some of my ingredients. I don’t think I’ll go back to making Orange chicken the “hard way” every again.;)
Do you have a particular recipe you like for Orange chicken? Please share. If not, try this one out. I think you’ll really like it.