This is such an easy recipe to make but will taste like you spent hours cooking it. It’s a good foolproof dish to make when you are having company or trying to impress family and friends. 😉 I have made this several times over the years and it’s really one that you can’t go wrong with.
This is a quick meal to make but tastes like it took hours.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1 8 oz package mushrooms, any variety
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup dry Marsala wine
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- Place the flour, salt, and pepper into a bag. Add the sliced chicken and shake until coated evenly. You may need to do this in batches. Once all the chicken is coated, set aside.
- Heat the oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. (Nonstick or an iron skillet will give the most browning. Place the flour dusted chicken, shaking off the excess flour first, into the pan. Cook for approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side or until golden brown. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the pan and add the mushrooms. Stir them frequently until the brown about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onions and garlic with a dash of salt and cook for another two minutes.
- Add the Marsala, heavy cream, chicken broth, and thyme along with the black pepper and stir while scraping off the brown bits on the pan. Allow the liquid to boil and then turn down to medium heat. Leave uncovered and allow the liquid to thicken and reduce. It will also turn a darker color all within about 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, along with any juices they released on the plate. Reduce the heat to low and allow the chicken to warm through and the juice to thicken a little bit more. Approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
Some things that I did a little differently with the recipe is I added a little less cream. I wanted it to have more of a deep brown color. I used baby bella mushrooms, too. I just love their flavor. You can really adapt this recipe into how you like it. Maybe add some beef broth instead of chicken broth. I bet that would give it a deep flavor. Whatever you decide, enjoy it!